Monday, May 9, 2011

Samurai Gundown...

Sooooo, I actually hate this picture. I did this for a monthly art topic with my co-workers: http://ninjabeeart.blogspot.com/. The topic (as you can see by clicking the link) was the movie SuckerPunch, and although I didn't see the movie, I saw the trailer and that was enough to make me say "Holy crap! Was that a Samurai with a Chain Gun?" I knew at that very moment I had to give this guy a piece of art. But I regretfully admit that I have shamed you Samurai with a Chain Gun. Although I managed to finish the piece and post it, this may be one of the single worst examples of everything that is wrong with my art. Now I will admit I didn't have a whole lot of time to work on this guy and put this piece together from beginning to end in one night (roughly 5-6 hours), but he still reeks of failure. Badly exaggerated proportions, poor lighting and an inconsistent level of detail are just a scratch on the surface of everything I see wrong with this pic. Now I didn't just write this blog so I could piss and moan about how terrible my art is, I am taking this piece as an example and I am going to start working on a series of pieces I hereby dub "Back 2 Basics." It has been a long time since I have actually worked on my art elements. I merely just make art on an irregular basis and work on more strictly guided pieces throughout my workday. From now on I am going to make the effort to do 1 or 2 pieces a week that just revolve around basic art techniques. In the mean time I have a whole list of projects I would like to attempt so stay tuned since I plan on posting more work in the coming weeks.

Thanks for lookin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment